help? looking for limits on in-flight write operations for virtio-blk

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what controls the number if in-flight virtio block operations when running linux in qemu on top of a linux host.

The problem is that we're trying to run as many VMs as possible, using ceph/rbd for the rootfs. We've tripped over the fact the the memory consumption of qemu can spike noticeably when doing I/O (something as simple as "dd" from /dev/zero to a file can cause the memory consumption to go up by 200MB--with dozens of VMs this can add up enough to trigger the OOM killer.

It looks like the rbd driver in qemu allocates a number of buffers for each request, one of which is the full amount of data to read/write. Monitoring the "inflight" numbers in the guest I've seen it go as high as 184.

I'm trying to figure out if there are any limits on how high the inflight numbers can go, but I'm not having much luck.

I was hopeful when I saw qemu calling virtio_add_queue() with a queue size, but the queue size was 128 which didn't match the inflight numbers I was seeing, and after changing the queue size down to 16 I still saw the number of inflight requests go up to 184 and then the guest took a kernel panic in virtqueue_add_buf().

Can someone with more knowledge of how virtio block works point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris