Time to post some patches?

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Nivedita Singhvi wrote:
>
>> On that note, we were going to start testing the merge patch
>> tree starting this week.
>

> Hm, do you mean the stuff in the ozlabs tree?  The series varies from
> fairly solid at one end to completely broken/experimental at the other,
> so there's not much point in testing the whole thing.  It would
> certainly be reasonable to test the initial part of the patch series
> though.

Right, because testing the full tree was going to be
premature, the intent was to test the series of patches
ready to go out to -mm. Hence waiting for the current
round of work to be done.

> Some sanity testing seems reasonable to me.  I wouldn't want to post
> anything completely broken, but I'm not sure we need to go for intense
> testing at this point.  The main thing I'm looking for is review

Yep, agree. This is intended to just be a minimal check
to make sure the stuff reasonably works before it goes
into -mm.

> comments to make sure that people are happy with the general design
> direction and so on, rather than "these are the final patches".  But the
> patches have to be basically working and usable on some reasonable
> configuration, otherwise they can't really be evaluated.

Yep, also in case some bug throws up a sticky fundamental
problem that might need some agreement on how to proceed.

thanks,
Nivedita