Time to post some patches?

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 01:50 -0700, Zachary Amsden wrote:
> Rusty Russell wrote:
> >>     fixmap-bootparam.patch
> >
> > While this would justify the above patch, it is IMHO, the wrong approach
> > for adding a paravirt module later: a module shouldn't fail to load
> > because you forgot a boot cmdline param.  I really think a #ifdef
> > CONFIG_XXX_MODULE would be clearer.
>
> We can't rely on a compile time kernel option - we really must have a
> boot parameter.  This is not the wrong approach.  If you forgot to add
> the boot parameter, so be it.  You reboot and the paravirt module can
> load.  The whole approach only makes sense if you can fully virtualize
> the kernel boot, so this is a completely plausible scenario.

The approach also makes sense for booting a kernel on native hardware,
then inserting a hypervisor later (ie. turning it into dom0).  I'll not
be relying on an obscure cmdline boot option for that...

> What we don't want to do is force Linux to have to move the fixmap at
> runtime.  I think that could be very, very messy.  Course, it may be
> possible (with a dynamic fixmap, it moves into that realm).  But to
> completely remove the boot parameter without the ability to change the
> fixmap at runtime makes dynamic loading of a hypervisor module impossible.

No, because if they compiled the kernel with (say) CONFIG_VMI=m, the
fixmap would always be low even for "native".  No cmdline option
necessary...

> Besides, it is useful for testing the performance impact of reducing
> lowmem - which I don't think has been adequately benchmarked to this
> day, and is still an area of investigation.

Sure, but that hardly has to go into the mainline...

This is a change only useful for paravirtualization, yet it's not #ifdef
CONFIG_PARAVIRT'ed.  I feel it's a little dishonest (and mission
creepish) to push this as some kind of general change, when a three-line
patch will do what we need for now...

Rusty.
--
Help! Save Australia from the worst of the DMCA: http://linux.org.au/law