Re: Need help to support USB3.0 HID Keyboard device

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, Bhavik Kothari wrote:

> Hi Greg / Alan,
>
> Yes, I have read Alan's response, and I have implemented the same way
> (Alternate setting is zero & it has endpoints, and Endpoint max packet
> size is 64 bytes instead of 1024 bytes). Now, Windows CV gets passed &
> Host detects HID (keyboard) driver too.
>
> Actually I wanted to know for a knowledge purpose, if I have multiple
> alternate settings then how Host should do set interface with alternate
> setting (other than zero) for periodic (Interrupt & Isochronous) transfers.

The driver on the host has to know how to handle the alternate
settings.  For example, the snd-usb-audio driver knows that it should
install the proper alternate setting for audio USB devices, depending
on the audio data rate.

However, the usbhid driver does not know about alternate settings for
USB HID devices.  That's why it wasn't able to handle your device.

> Thanks for your help Alan.

You're welcome.

Alan Stern