Re: Need help to support USB3.0 HID Keyboard device

On Tuesday 26 November 2013 09:40 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 03:26:04PM +0530, Bhavik Kothari wrote:
On Friday 22 November 2013 10:25 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 04:47:10PM +0530, Bhavik Kothari wrote:
Hi,

I have been working on USB3.0 device driver and wanted to support
USB3.0 HID (keyboard).

To support HID Keyboard device, I have made below Interface descriptor:

Interface Descriptor with alternate settings 0:

     bLength = 0x9;
     bDescriptorType = 0x4 (USB_DT_INTERFACE);

     bInterfaceNumber = 0x0;
     bAlternateSetting = 0x0;
     bNumEndpoints = 0x0;
     bInterfaceClass = (0x3) USB_CLASS_HID;
     bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0;
         bInterfaceProtocol = 0x1 (keyboard);
         iInterface = 0x0;

Interface Descriptor with alternate settings 1 along with Super
speed endpoints:

         bLength = 0x9;
         bDescriptorType = 0x4 (USB_DT_INTERFACE);

         bInterfaceNumber = 0x0;
         bAlternateSetting = 0x1;
         bNumEndpoints = 0x2; (One for EP IN Interrupt and other for
EP OUT Interrupt)
         bInterfaceClass = (0x3) USB_CLASS_HID;
         bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0;
         bInterfaceProtocol = 0x1 (keyboard);
         iInterface = 0x0;

However, when xHCI does set_config at that time Interface zero and
alternate setting is zero, it never does set_interface with
interface zero and alternate setting one, hence host does not detect
HID device.

So, would you please assist me that what I have to do, so host does
set interface with alternate setting one.
It's up to a userspace program to switch to the alternate interface,
right?  The OS can't just "know" to do that without some type of
interaction from you.

Have you run your device under the USB verification test suite for
Windows?  I suggest you do that first, to ensure the firmware is working
properly before worrying about how Linux is handling the device.

thanks,

greg k-h
.

Hi Greg,

Yes, I have run USB3.0 device with USB  verification test suite
(USB3.0 CV) for Windows, and it passes all test points. However, with
same implementation, host does not issue set interface with alternate
setting one.
That sounds correct.

I am not sure what to do either from device or Host side, so, Host
(xHCI) issues set interface with interface number zero or any other
with alternate setting one or more than zero (because alternate
setting zero is alloted for control ep, if transfer type is periodic
(Interrupt / Isochronous)) Can you please assist me on this, what
should I do / implement?
Did you read Alan's response to your questions?  What about what he said
to do?

thanks,

greg k-h

Hi Greg / Alan,

Yes, I have read Alan's response, and I have implemented the same way (Alternate setting is zero & it has endpoints, and Endpoint max packet size is 64 bytes instead of 1024 bytes). Now, Windows CV gets passed & Host detects HID (keyboard) driver too.

Actually I wanted to know for a knowledge purpose, if I have multiple alternate settings then how Host should do set interface with alternate setting (other than zero) for periodic (Interrupt & Isochronous) transfers.

Thanks for your help Alan.

Thanks,
Bhavik Kothari