Re: huawei_cdc_ncm driver

Hi,

> I do not have any Huawei NCM device, so I cannot really test the new
> huawei_cdc_ncm.

> A simple test would be just reverting commit 9fea037de5f3 ("net:
> cdc_ncm: remove non-standard NCM device IDs"), to make the cdc_ncm
> driver (with all the recent changes) handle this device again.

I have done the steps above. The two devices bind now to cdc_ncm again, but
they still don't work.

> If that still does not change anything, then I'd really appreciate it if
> you could run through (assuming the v3.11 driver was OK):
>
>   git bisect start 9fea037de5f3 v3.11 -- drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c
>
> This should pinpoint the exact change to cdc_ncm.c that made your device
> start failing, assuming it is a cdc_ncm change that is the cause...

This test is ongoing (compiling on cheap netbooks takes time)

> Actually it would be good to first verify that v3.11 version of cdc_ncm
> still works on top of net-next, eliminating any core changes:
>
>   git reset v3.11 drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c include/linux/usb/cdc_ncm.h
>   git checkout drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c include/linux/usb/cdc_ncm.h

If compiling fails, I will do that.

Thanks so far for your support.

> Run
>
>   git reset --hard
>
> to get back to a clean HEAD after that test.  If that didn't work, then
> there is no need to run the limited bisect command above.  But you might
> consider doing a full bisect from the last working kernel version
> instead.  This will be a few more steps, though.

The last working version is release 3.12.

Don't worry to much. Maybe the netfilter people made some things temporally
broken, or I inherit the wrong .config of the kernel.

The chance is good, that the error is sitting in front of my desk.

Thomas