Re: huawei_cdc_ncm driver

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > The second device with problems is  Huawei E3276 (Speedstick LTE III,
>> > Telekom, no Hilink, but ipv6-cabable version) This device worked before
>> > with SLAAC, now with -next-20131107 it doesn't.
>> Ouch.  I noticed after submitting this driver that it probably has some
>> flawed logic wrt carrier detection.  I wonder if this patch makes any
>> difference (yes, just delete that line):
>>

> It didn't.
>
> I will test again, from time to time linux-next. If the problem is still there
> while releasing RC-versions, I will cry out again.

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this problem with the NCM device I've got
(Ericsson F5521gw), or with any of my MBIM devices. I am still unable to
test IPv6, but IPv4 with DHCP works fine using net-next from today.

I do not have any Huawei NCM device, so I cannot really test the new
huawei_cdc_ncm.  One isse with this driver is that it takes the status/
notification endpoint away from the cdc_ncm driver.  I guess there could
be some problem there.  Or maybe some subtle difference introduced by my
fixup series causes trouble for this device?

Anyway, I am hoping you can help me pinpoint the cause, as it doesn't
seem likely it will be resolved in any other way given than I am unable
to reproduce the problem myself.

A simple test would be just reverting commit 9fea037de5f3 ("net:
cdc_ncm: remove non-standard NCM device IDs"), to make the cdc_ncm
driver (with all the recent changes) handle this device again.

If that still does not change anything, then I'd really appreciate it if
you could run through (assuming the v3.11 driver was OK):

  git bisect start 9fea037de5f3 v3.11 -- drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c

This should pinpoint the exact change to cdc_ncm.c that made your device
start failing, assuming it is a cdc_ncm change that is the cause...

Actually it would be good to first verify that v3.11 version of cdc_ncm
still works on top of net-next, eliminating any core changes:

  git reset v3.11 drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c include/linux/usb/cdc_ncm.h
  git checkout drivers/net/usb/cdc_ncm.c include/linux/usb/cdc_ncm.h

Run

  git reset --hard

to get back to a clean HEAD after that test.  If that didn't work, then
there is no need to run the limited bisect command above.  But you might
consider doing a full bisect from the last working kernel version
instead.  This will be a few more steps, though.

Bjørn