Re: CSW endpoint status returned STALL after BOT MSC Reset

Hi Felip,

I too got this issue with my dwc3 based usb device platform. Have you
ever tried to run USBCV MSC test with dwc3 +  g_mass_storage? If yes,
what was the result in your case.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 10:53:22PM +0800, Alan Stern wrote:
> Be aware that the mailing list doesn't like HTML.  Plain-text only,
> please.
>
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013, zouid abdelhamid wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > I am
> > testing a USB MSC, device mode, using USBCV2.0 .
> >
> > The device
> > is an ARM based platform with a USB DRD that is running 3.4 kernel, the USB
> > port is configured as �device�.
> >
> > When it
> > comes to �Error recovery test� , it fails showing the following messages:
> >

> > ERROR    CSW
> > endpoint status returned STALL after BOT MSC Reset
> >
> > FAIL   (5.5.4)
> > The device must support the Bulk-Only Mass Storage Reset.
> >

> > Actually I
> > am a little bit confused if it is a Software issue rather than hardware, and I
> > wonder if there is an existing patch for fixing this in the kernel.
>
> It's kind of hard to say, since you didn't tell us what platform and
> which UDC driver you are using.

I am using dwc3 driver. I my case kernel version is even a bit old
3.3, but dwc3 patches are almost updated. I am using g_mass_storage.

> Why don't you try running an up-to-date kernel, like 3.11, instead?

Yaa, I am trying to upgrade my kernel to 3.12.RC5.

To me, it seems more like a mass storage layer issue rather than
peripheral layer. I do not have any expertize of mass storage
internals, so meanwhile I am providing few more inputs, if some expert
from mass storage can give any advice.

Please see attached snapshot of lecroy capture for a failing and
passing error recovery test. Transfer 10 is a BULK IN transfer, in
which SBSU Tag, Residue and status is expected. I see that Verbatim
usb3.0 disk passes here, while Linux g_mass_storage stalls.

I am also providing usbcv log, if that tells something...

INFO	Start time: Wed Oct 30 11:54:06 2013
INFO	Configuring device, set configuration = 0x1
INFO	NOTE: It is expected the device has reset the data toggles on all Bulk endpoints after the above SetConfiguration call
INFO	Setting device interface, interface number = 0x0 and alternate setting = 0x0
INFO	NOTE: It is expected the device has reset the data toggles on all Bulk endpoints after the above SetInterface call
INFO	Issuing Get Max LUN request
INFO	Max LUN value = 0
INFO	Issue CBW with invalid signature
INFO	Issuing invalid CBW
INFO	CBW successful
INFO	Issuing CSW 2 times, CSW should stall in every case
INFO	Issuing CSW 1
INFO	Issuing CSW 2
INFO	Retrieving status on CSW endpoint
INFO	CSW endpoint status = 0x1
INFO	CSW endpoint stalled
INFO	Clearing stalled CSW endpoint
INFO	Issuing CSW 2 times, CSW should stall in every case
INFO	Issuing CSW 1
INFO	Issuing CSW 2
INFO	Issuing CBW 2 times, CBW should either stall or return success
INFO	Issuing CBW 1
INFO	CBW successful
INFO	Issuing BOT MSC Reset, reset should always succeed
INFO	Retrieving status on CBW endpoint
INFO	CBW endpoint status = 0x0
INFO	Retrieving status on CSW endpoint
INFO	CSW endpoint status = 0x1

ERROR	CSW endpoint status returned STALL after BOT MSC Reset

FAIL	(5.5.4) The device must support the Bulk-Only Mass Storage Reset.

INFO	Re-enumerating device
INFO	Unconfiguring the device
INFO
Stop time: Wed Oct 30 11:54:07 2013
INFO	Duration:  1 second.
INFO	Stopping Test [ USB Mass Storage Error Recovery Test (Configuration Index 0):
     Number of: Fails (1); Aborts (0); Warnings (0) ]

Regards
Pratyush