Re: kernel Oops: 0003 on usbhid_submit_report

Hi,

On Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> > When communicating with AT90USB1287, at random intervals (1/25 boots)
> > the linux hid_output_field Oopses and kills the communicating thread.
> > The AT90USB1287 microcontroller uses LUFA library for usb/hid
> > communication. It is trigged by a ioctl call from userspace and fails
> > in a kernel paging request. The system is after the oops in a state
> > where no hid commands is sent anymore and only a boot can fix the
> > system.

> > Kernel version: Linux version 3.8.13-03081301-generic (apw@gomeisa) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) ) #201305311535 SMP Fri May 31 19:44:30 UTC 2013
> >
> > Oopses:
> > http://paste.debian.net/24305
> > http://paste.debian.net/24306
> > http://paste.debian.net/24307
> >
> > Code:
> > The error is triggered by:
> > ioctl(fd,HIDIOCSUSAGES, &ref_multi_u);
> > ioctl(fd,HIDIOCSREPORT, &rep_info_u);
> >
> > Notes:
> > It is very hard to reproduce so seems like race condition…
> >
> > Any tips to resolve/workaround this issue is appreciated and please
> > let me know if my information is incomplete (This is my first kernel
> > bug report)
>

> Any chance you can try a supported kernel, like 3.10.6 or 3.11-rc5 to
> see if that also causes problems? We can't do anything with
> distro-specific kernel releases like your 3.8.13 release from Ubuntu,
> sorry.

I've now tried with kernel 3.10.6 (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.10.6-saucy/) and I can trigger the same issue on this kernel.

Here is a paste from last Oops on this kernel:
http://paste.debian.net/24993/

I am also using usbmon to monitor the usb bus traffic, but cannot see anything that should cause the driver to Oops.

Is there any way to find out what can trigger this issue?

Thanks
Andreas L. Holm