Re: [RFC V3] usb: rh_call_control tbuf overflow fix

On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 08:51:30AM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 04:11:46PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Note, I don't apply "RFC" patches, and rarely review them.  Why are you
> > claiming that is what this is, when it is in the 3rd version already?
>
> This is a new approach from the last patch (dynamic allocation vs.
> making the static tbuf bigger), so I think that's why Sean was using RFC
> instead of PATCH.
>
> Quite frankly, I'm also confused on when to use RFC vs. PATCH.  I'm
> mentoring Xenia, Sean, Stephanie, and Alex on USB related things, and I
> want to give them good advice.  So, is there documentation on this?  Or
> an email anywhere explaining the norm?  SubmittingPatches is no help
> here.

I only use RFC if I really mean "request for comments" and I have no
intention of the patch ever being submitted.  But I know many people
don't read those, and as I said, I rarely do given the huge number of
actual patches that people are submitting, unless I am really interested
in the topic at hand (hint, on this specific thread, for a known working
bit of code, I'm not.)

Also, I'm not going to apply a RFC, as obviously the submitter doesn't
want it applied, and still has doubts about it, so that's a good reason
never to use it.

thanks,

greg k-h