Re: Help adding trace events to xHCI

On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 08:28 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > My original though here was that we should be able to reserve (maximum)
> > space on the per-CPU buffer, and then relinquish some of it after the
> > tracepoint was written to the data, but I never had the time to check if
> > that was possible to implement. It would make it a little inefficient at
> > page boundaries, but that seems OK given that our maximum size is only
> > ~100 bytes or so now.

> Yes that would be trivial to implement. If the max buffer is ~100 bytes,
> allocate 256 byte buffers per cpu. Also have a per cpu index, and then
> have something like this:
>
>  [snip]

Ah, yes, that'd work. I was considering putting it into the trace event
handling itself so I don't have to allocate those buffers and put the
handling into every tracepoint, but I don't know how that'd work with
interrupts coming in.

If we assume that interrupts coming in in the middle of a tracepoint
should be rare, we could do something like

 * allocate max buffer in on the tracing ringbuffer page
 * write data into it
 * if no interrupt came in, reduce reservation

but I'm not sure how to implement step 3 :)

johannes