Re: Help adding trace events to xHCI

On Thu, 2013-07-11 at 15:29 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> > Note that there's no easy way to dynamically allocate the right amount
> > of space in the ringbuffer, or at least I haven't found one. We
> > therefore have a static size, which is somewhat inefficient.
>
> Can you add a helper function? If these trace events can't nest (one in
> interrupt context and another in normal context with interrupts
> enabled), then you can just allocate a per-cpu buffer and store the
> string in that, and then move the string into the buffer.

In my situation personally, I can't, because I can have them in
interrupt and regular context (with interrupts enabled).

My original though here was that we should be able to reserve (maximum)
space on the per-CPU buffer, and then relinquish some of it after the
tracepoint was written to the data, but I never had the time to check if
that was possible to implement. It would make it a little inefficient at
page boundaries, but that seems OK given that our maximum size is only
~100 bytes or so now.

johannes