Re: usb cdc-acm driver cause windows xp sp3 blue screen randomly

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Yingchun Li <sword.l.dragon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks xiaofan
>         The usb device has been fixed by the chip romcode, so there is
> little chance for switching to HID.
>          But can I implement a usb-serial driver with libusb, which just
> work like usbser.sys?
>          I will check the libusb, thank you!

No, you will not be able to make libusb (raw USB communication)
to work like usbser.sys (use Serial Port API).

Windows usbser.sys is not a good choice for your device. You will
find those major USB to Serial chip vendors (Prolific, FTDI, TI, etc)
all use vendor specific class and develop their own device driver
under Windows.

But if you can not change your firmware, you can also purchase
commercial CDC-ACM driver from vendors like. I do not know how
good they are and how expensive they are compared to changing
your firmware.

http://www.mcci.com/mcci-v5/hostside/usb_serial_drivers.html
http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_cdcacm.shtml
https://www.jungo.com/st/drivercore/cdc_acm_driver.html

On the other hand, if you still want to stick with usbser.sys,
you may be able to change your host application to avoid
BSOD issues as mentioned in the Microchip forum thread.

Ref: http://www.microchip.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=714138
Ref: http://www.microchip.com/forums/m469465.aspx

1) try to use different timeout
2) try to use C# or other DotNet language.

If you can re-write your host application, another choice
is to use a different driver like WinUSB to your device
and then use libusb-1.0 API to communicate with your device.

--
Xiaofan