Re: [PROBLEM/BUG] mouse polling at only half rate on ohci_hcd

On 07/23/2013 09:57 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 04:30:29AM -0500, Josef Schimke wrote:
>> wrt that:
>> 1.  Am I on the right track thinking like that?
>> 2.  Does the USB stuff in the kernel already have a way to test this?
>> 3.  If not, I'm really stumped about how I can do this, so any advice
>> would be great.  :p
>>
>> Aside from that - in hid_start_in(), would it have been better if I'd
>> used goto and a label instead of breaking from the for loop?  I wouldn't
>> have to test if (rc == 0) to clear that HID_NO_BANDWIDTH bit that way,
>> but it seemed more messy.
>
> I'd recommend just always using 2 interrupt urbs, it can't hurt other
> devices / host controllers if it's always there.

Sounds good to me.  :)  Do you think I should re-write the patch to save
a kmalloc(), an int in the usbhid_device struct, and some complexity by
swapping my "struct urb **inurbs" to something like
"struct urb urbin[NUM_INPUT_URBS]" instead?

I'm not trying to nitpick about my own patch, but being clear about stuff
like that will definitely help me learn what's expected of my code.  :)

I wrote my current patch the way I did thinking that it might be useful
to dynamically figure out how many URBs are needed (which is the part I
couldn't do :p) - but I simply don't have the knowledge needed to be able
to say for certain if that was a good idea.  But I'm leaning toward the
thought that >2 URBs might never be needed for this driver.

Jiri, will you also give your advice to me about this too please, along
with any comments about my current patch?

>> ***snipped my patch here***
>
> A hint, run your patch through scripts/checkpatch.pl so that people
> don't complain about coding style issues next time :)

Will do.  :)

> I can't see anything really wrong with this, care to resend it with a
> signed-off-by: line so that Jiri can apply it (if he agrees with it?)

I appreciate every bit of help and advice you, Alan, and (soon, I think!)
Jiri have given me.  :)  I'd like to be as helpful as I can in the future,
and you guys are setting me on the right track.

I have a couple more ropes to jump over:

The SubmittingPatches doc confuses me a bit, so can you tell me if I
should submit patches to linux-usb when they relate to things like this,
or should I submit them straight to the main list, or...?

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Regards,
Josef/sgtcapslock