Re: [PROBLEM/BUG] mouse polling at only half rate on ohci_hcd

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013, sgtcapslock wrote:

> > This could be considered a bug in the usbhid driver.  As far as I can
> > see, the only way to fix it is to use two interrupts URBs rather than
> > one.
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> Thanks a lot for taking time to diagnose this, I appreciate it!  I think
> I understand the general gist of what you've said.
>
> I'd love to be able to try and solve this or to write a patch, but I'm
> afraid I've never really done any kernel-related hacking before, and I'm
> not too familiar with how USB works...  I'm extremely interested in
> writing patches for Linux in the future, so I'll be researching this.
>
> So if anybody wants to write a patch, or even give some tips on what I
> might need to research to do this myself in the future (I don't know
> what an URB is, tbh), I'd appreciate it in either case.

If you don't know anything about USB programming in the Linux kernel,
you've got a ways to go before you can write patches.  There are
resources online that can help.  For example, there's a chapter on USB
programming in the Linux Device Drivers book (3rd edition), which is
freely available.  There are also some files in the Documentation
directory of the kernel source that explain how to format and submit
patches.

I suggest you get in touch with Jiri Kosina, the maintainer of the
usbhid driver about this.  He ought to be able to help you get going
and explain what needs to be changed.  That's why I CC'ed him on the
previous email.

Alan Stern