Re: Video corruption varies by system load

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you use the bus analyzer at the same time, you could compare
> microframe numbers.

Ah, again, good suggestion.  I'll get a usbmon trace in parallel to
the Beagle.  I'll have to move some stuff around though because I
don't want to run the Beagle on the same system the em28xx device is
connected to.

> You're using 64 packets/URB, so each URB lasts 8 ms.  In addition, you
> have a pipeline of 5 URBs, for a total of 40 ms.  That should be
> plenty.

Yeah, it felt pretty conservative.  64 packets/URB is what the Windows
driver does, and I tried higher numbers of URBs (up to 12) with no
change in behavior.

> I don't see any problems in the usbmon trace, but they might not show
> up there.  In particular, the trace includes the status values only for
> the first 5 packets in each URB.  Does the driver encounter any packets
> with a nonzero status?

No.  I added code to the driver to do a printk() on any error
conditions (both at the URB level and at the isoc packet level), and
the log has been clean.

> It could be that you're facing some sort of hardware limitation of the
> host controller.  Can you try running the test on a computer with a
> different brand of motherboard?

Ruled that out already.  I'm seeing the behavior on my 2010 MacBook
Pro (Intel EHCI), a Dell XPS system (also Intel EHCI), and a TI 8147
Davinci embedded system (using the musb HCD),  I've also tried three
different Empia designs and they all exhibit the same behavior
(em2820, em2861, em2883).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs