Re: Video corruption varies by system load

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Devin Heitmueller wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Nope, that wasn't it.  I am now only setting ISO_ASAP in the first
> >> packet, and I tried both leaving it as in on resubmit and clearing the
> >> flag prior to resubmit.
> >
> > usbmon is the best debugging tool at this point.
>
> http://www.devinheitmueller.com/em28xx_usbmon.log
>
> (only about 290KB).
>
> I'm just starting to read through it now, but figured it would be
> better to send it along while doing such.  Probably the biggest issue
> at this point is that while I was definitely seeing the corruption on
> the screen while creating the trace, I don't yet have a way to
> correlate that corruption to a particular spot in the usbmon trace.

If you use the bus analyzer at the same time, you could compare
microframe numbers.

You're using 64 packets/URB, so each URB lasts 8 ms.  In addition, you
have a pipeline of 5 URBs, for a total of 40 ms.  That should be
plenty.

I don't see any problems in the usbmon trace, but they might not show
up there.  In particular, the trace includes the status values only for
the first 5 packets in each URB.  Does the driver encounter any packets
with a nonzero status?

It could be that you're facing some sort of hardware limitation of the
host controller.  Can you try running the test on a computer with a
different brand of motherboard?

Alan Stern