Re: Sound Blaster USB X-Fi configuration problem

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:43:39PM +0200, Mariusz Grecki wrote:
> The problem relates directly to the old one:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/20816/focus=20850
>
> The problem is, that usually (in fact all the time with one! exception
> so far) the card is recognized by operating system as a full-speed (FS)
> device not the high-speed (HS) one. This is weird, but once I have seen
> it was recognized as high-speed device at my CPU. But that happened once
> - I have no idea how and why. My suspicions is that during
> initialization there is a kind of races that usually lead to full-speed
> configuration.
>
> The FS operation is not enough since the card performance is limited or
> (worse) the card is not possible to use since there are other USB
> devices connected (not enough bandwidth).

Perhaps the card realizes this and this is why it only offers up the
lower speed?

> One of the possible cause given in the mentioned thread was that the
> card requires special initialization. This is not the case in my opinion
> since I have seen it was initialized as a HS device with completely
> different characteristics (more high precision and high sampling rate
> modes of operation).

The kernel only takes the device descriptor directly from the device, it
doesn't have a way to change it.  If you run 'usbmon' can you see
anything different from when it is detected in the two different ways?

> The computer to which the card is connected is uTCA embedded CPU with
> high-speed USB hub. It runs Ubuntu 10.04 (Linux mskcpucmtb1
> 2.6.32-45-generic #102-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 2 22:38:04 UTC 2013 x86_64
> GNU/Linux). I have checked the same behavior with pure 3.9.2 kernel
> compiled by me - for all cases FS device was configured. The only case
> when the device was configured as HS device happened once with other
> machine (not available at this moment). But it is not related to this
> particular machine since I have tried many times on this machine later
> and always it was configured as FS device.

What happens if you don't use a USB hub and just plug it in directly to
the root USB hub?  How about on a "normal" desktop computer running
Linux?

thanks,

greg k-h