Re: Proposed modification to PL2303 driver

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 at 19:14, Greg KH wrote:

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:54:37AM +0200, Reinhard Max wrote:

So, how about starting to get rid of the baud rate list by skipping it for HX chips only until someone with a type_0 or type_1 devices can confirm that it works there as well?

How about getting some of those devices and testing it? That's the best way to do it, right? After that, patches are always gladly accepted.

Well, I do have a HX based device and I tested it and it does support arbitrary baud rates. But as I have no idea where to get type_0 or type_1 devices (if such are still available at all), I'd leave that part up to those who have such devices and want to run them at non-standard speeds.

So, would you accept a patch that removes the constraint for HX only?

OTOH, why should a driver impose such a limit at all instead of leaving it up to the hardware whether it supports non-standard baud rates or (according to the comment in the driver) falls back to 9600 Baud if an unsupported one is requested? Rounding a non-standard baud rate such as 250kBd for DMX to the nearest standard value will let the communication fail just as much as letting the hardware fall back to 9600.

Can you imagine scenarios where the current rounding algorithm isn't either unneeded (because a standard baud rate was used anyway) or obstructive (because the user intentionally uses a non-standard rate)?

cu
	Reinhard