Re: Proposed modification to PL2303 driver

On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 10:38:01AM +0200, Mastro Gippo wrote:
> Hello, I'm working with a PL2303 device and I had an issue with the
> driver. Basically, I can't set the baudrate to 250kbps, but everything
> is better explained here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17000078/prolific-pl2303-serial-port-to-250000bps
> I think that removing lines from 332 to 348 of the driver the device
> will work even with non-standard (but common in embedded devices)
> baudrates.

What exact kernel version are you using?  Have you tried removing those
lines and see what happens in the driver?

How exactly are you trying to set "odd" baud rates in the device?  Can
you provide a code example to test with?  And what happens when you do
it?

> Baudrates standards were set a long time ago to use the
> same clock to generate human-compatible timing, for example with
> 32.768kHz crystals. Nowadays, crystals come mostly in round numbers,
> and the Prolific device makes no exception, having a 12MHz clock. In
> all my embedded project I'm running these non-standard baudrates for
> that same reason.

How do you know the speed of the crystal for this device?  We don't have
a data sheet for it, and have no idea how this chip works.

> I don't see any negative effects that may derive from this
> modification, but please let me know if there are any.

Given that the driver has been working properly with this table for over
10 years, and we don't have data sheets on how exactly this driver
works, and we don't know if this chip will even support different baud
rates than what is in it, it's a big risk to just rip it out now.

thanks,

greg k-h