Re: Proposed modification to PL2303 driver

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 10:38:01 +0200
Mastro Gippo <gipmad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, I'm working with a PL2303 device and I had an issue with the
> driver. Basically, I can't set the baudrate to 250kbps, but everything
> is better explained here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17000078/prolific-pl2303-serial-port-to-250000bps
> I think that removing lines from 332 to 348 of the driver the device
> will work even with non-standard (but common in embedded devices)
> baudrates. Baudrates standards were set a long time ago to use the
> same clock to generate human-compatible timing, for example with
> 32.768kHz crystals. Nowadays, crystals come mostly in round numbers,
> and the Prolific device makes no exception, having a 12MHz clock. In
> all my embedded project I'm running these non-standard baudrates for
> that same reason.
It's also worth pointing out that lighting control via DMX512 runs at
250kbps (RS485, unidirectional), so being able to select that rate
on USB-serial adaptors would make a fair amount of weird and wonderful
(expensive!) converter hardware unnecessary.

I can't comment on whether the driver change makes this possible,
though!

Richard