Re: usb reset issue ...

On 06/25/2013 01:29 PM, Greg KH wrote:
Then that library should somehow be unbinding the device from the ttyUSB
port, right?  I really don't know how that library works, sorry.
Now that I checked, it does, you're right. The libftdi userspace library does remove the entries from /dev.
AFAIK mdev gets called by the kernel when there's a hotplug event.
Why didn't the kernel notify mdev to generate the new entries in the
/dev directory ??
Because the devices didn't show back up?  Or perhaps, because the
libftdi library unbound the tty ports from the device, which would cause
them to go away in /dev/ because the library is now talking directly to
the device, through the /dev/usb/ device nodes instead of through the
tty device nodes.

But I'm just guessing here...
From the original dmesg entries, the kernel does attach them to other ports, but right now I'm not so sure if the intrusion of the libftdi userspace driver has anything to do with identifying new ones. I think one solution might be to check always if the assigned devnum for the listed ftdi devices remain the same before reading from them, if they change ( hope not in a periodic manner ), then reconfigure the two devices for new ports. It's a bit sloppy but I think it might work. I'm still a bit worried as of why the reset happened in the first place. I'm currently with Alan in another thread trying to see if it's a software or a hardware issue.

greg k-h