Re: usb reset issue ...

On 06/25/2013 11:42 AM, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 09:25:50AM -0400, raespi wrote:
Hi ... I'm using an ARM Samsung S3C24XX processor with a 3.1.10
kernel.
Note, this is a very old and unsupported kernel version, you really
should consider upgrading, or getting support for these types of issues
from the vendor that is forcing you to use this kernel version.
We have to upgrade the kernel, you're right on that. We were using at one point the 3.4.3 version but the audio broke on the s3c24xx march. We had to return back to the 3.1.10. We've been running some tests with the 3.8 and apparently some of the audio problems were fixed. Still, this usb problem is certainly an issue.
How are you accessing the FTDI devices, if not through their ttyUSB
ports?  Your system should also have some persistant device names for
these ports in the /dev/serial/ directory if you are using udev.  I'd
recommend using them and making sure each of these devices has a unique
serial number, in order to always know you are talking to the correct
device.
I'm using libftdi in userspace to communicate with the FTDI devices. I'm also using mdev. One of the other problems I mentioned in the original email was how both the /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 devices dissapeared when the reset happened. Is this something udev might fix ?? AFAIK mdev gets called by the kernel when there's a hotplug event. Why didn't the kernel notify mdev to generate the new entries in the /dev directory ??

good luck,

greg k-h