Re: usb reset issue ...

Please use Reply-To-All so that your messages get sent to the mailing
list as well as to me.

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, raespi wrote:

> On 06/25/2013 11:17 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> >> Say the sensor A gets
> >> to port 3 and sensor B gets to port 4 the first time,  but when a reset
> >> happens they get switched in order and sensor A gets to port 5 and
> >> sensor B gets to port 4??.
> > That won't happen unless you remove the wires connecting the sensors to
> > the board, swap the wires, and then reconnect them to the board.
> So you're saying, "go to the /sys/bus/usb/devices/, and read the
> specific devnum for each port, the lesser number corresponds to the
> first sensor and the greater number to the second one" ??

I don't know what you mean by "first sensor" and "second sensor".

What I'm saying is: Read the devnum files for each of the ports.  The
value in the file is the address of the device which is attached to the
corresponding port.  For example, if sensor A is wired to port 3, then
the value in /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1.3/devnum is the address of sensor
A.

> > When the reset happens, it is certainly because of some fault.  I can't
> > tell from your description whether the fault is in hardware or
> > software.
> >
> > Alan Stern
> >

> How can I determine this ?? Where can I look up to see if the kernel
> resets them because of a software or a hardware fault ??

I don't know.  It depends on what USB controller hardware your PCB
contains.  For instance, what sort of host controller does the PCB use?

Alan Stern