Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Noone Nowhere wrote:

> > That depends on where the bug is.  If it is in the stick then testing
> > a different brand of flash drive would help.
>
> Does it need an unusual dev entry to limit max sectors? It is the
> first USB stick that arrived here back in 2003(?) and uses SLC flash!!
> We do not think we can find SLC USB stick any more. We will test
> affected hosts with a much newer USB stick.

I don't know what your old USB stick needs.  If it does have an
unusual_devs entry to limit max_sectors then the test program probably
won't work with it.

> > The test program does a bunch of error checking but practically no
> > error recovery.  If almost any tiny little thing goes wrong, the
> > program exits.  You might think that nothing else "should" go wrong --
> > but the fact is that errors do happen.
>
> Is the controller supposed to do such error recovery or the OS?

The OS.

>  As far
> as "should" is concerned you are completely right as A50M still breaks
> with the 2 patches applied on 3.8.3 despite that we use a 16 times
> larger USB stick. Breakage though occurs at the program output only:
>
> [  215.244713] usb-storage 4-3:1.0: disconnect by usbfs
> [  229.774169] ehci-pci 0000:00:12.2: shutdown urb ffff88005111f9c0
> ep1in-bulk 600x
>
> 100
> 200
> 300
> 400
> 500
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> Wrong URB completed
>
> , is the bug curred or no?

Probably it is cured.  But something is still wrong, even though it may
be unrelated.

>  We are puzzled with this laptop, why does
> the program detect the bug only on this one?

Remember, the program doesn't _detect_ the bug.  The kernel patch that
goes along with the program does the detection.  The program only tries
to _trigger_ the bug.

>  It surely has the bug but
> it breaks on its own way or breaks because of additional errata(linux
> has already a USB workaround for isochronous transfers when ASPM is
> used on this chip). If any sort of usbmon dump is needed, provide
> instructions and we can test it at once.

Instructions for usbmon are in the kernel source file
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

>  As said we have docs and we
> shall read its errata. If nothing usefull is found, we can try to poke
> with the controller settings. Since we mentioned ASPM, before you ask
> it is disabled for all devices by ACPI FADT table.
>
> > That's what I would like to do.  But nobody knows what
> > vendor/device/revision values should be in the blacklist.
>
> We should not harry up and give some time for more reports. Tonight we
> will test an ICH-4M and we can buy ATI IXP mainboards for testing
> within this week if a table can be made. Also it is possible to buy an
> ALi controller. We also have a HUMAX DVB-S2 with an external USB port
> and we would love to poke with it provided that we can save all the
> settings from telnet. It must be using the bcma-hcd driver and we are
> looking forward to test it.

Okay.

Alan Stern