Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

Hello Alan. As we told you, we are from Greece and EU & IMF have
created a big mess here and some people do not even have
electricity...While we were compiling and testing kernels to our
machines for this issue and for
http://marc.info/?l=linux-ide&m=136370465220794&w=2, some ugly
motherf*ck3rs tried to enter our mother's shop. A made in USA steel
locker kept those evil minds (and their bolt cutter) outside! The lock
was probably damaged beyond repair though...

WTF, back to business!

> That depends on where the bug is.  If it is in the stick then testing
> a different brand of flash drive would help.

Does it need an unusual dev entry to limit max sectors? It is the
first USB stick that arrived here back in 2003(?) and uses SLC flash!!
We do not think we can find SLC USB stick any more. We will test
affected hosts with a much newer USB stick.

> The "IAA with IAAD" messages are probably the result of a harmless
> oversight in the workaround patch.  I believe that the patch below,
> applied on top of the workaround, will eliminate them.  Alternatively,
> you can simply run the tests with a kernel that has CONFIG_USB_DEBUG
> disabled.

We have enabled CONFIG_USB_DEBUG not for this bug only as we have an
EPSON scanner with broken auto suspend and want to monitor autosuspend
as the scanner goes crazy from time to time. We will deal with that
later.

> The test program does a bunch of error checking but practically no
> error recovery.  If almost any tiny little thing goes wrong, the
> program exits.  You might think that nothing else "should" go wrong --
> but the fact is that errors do happen.

Is the controller supposed to do such error recovery or the OS? As far
as "should" is concerned you are completely right as A50M still breaks
with the 2 patches applied on 3.8.3 despite that we use a 16 times
larger USB stick. Breakage though occurs at the program output only:

[  215.244713] usb-storage 4-3:1.0: disconnect by usbfs
[  229.774169] ehci-pci 0000:00:12.2: shutdown urb ffff88005111f9c0
ep1in-bulk 600x

100
200
300
400
500
URB timed out; bug may be present
Wrong URB completed

, is the bug curred or no? We are puzzled with this laptop, why does
the program detect the bug only on this one? It surely has the bug but
it breaks on its own way or breaks because of additional errata(linux
has already a USB workaround for isochronous transfers when ASPM is
used on this chip). If any sort of usbmon dump is needed, provide
instructions and we can test it at once. As said we have docs and we
shall read its errata. If nothing usefull is found, we can try to poke
with the controller settings. Since we mentioned ASPM, before you ask
it is disabled for all devices by ACPI FADT table.

> That's what I would like to do.  But nobody knows what
> vendor/device/revision values should be in the blacklist.

We should not harry up and give some time for more reports. Tonight we
will test an ICH-4M and we can buy ATI IXP mainboards for testing
within this week if a table can be made. Also it is possible to buy an
ALi controller. We also have a HUMAX DVB-S2 with an external USB port
and we would love to poke with it provided that we can save all the
settings from telnet. It must be using the bcma-hcd driver and we are
looking forward to test it.