Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

> I'll bubble up the results of this thread to our hardware team.  To the
> original person who reported this (Noone?), can you privately send me
> which company you work for?  Getting the name of an affected customer
> will help expedite a fix for this.

Hello, we sincerely respect Sarah for her help to xhci in linux but we
are just an intel end customer, only john has an EDC account from some
years ago he used for IEGD download. That account name can be of
course sent provided that we get access to locked documents which will
be referenced below...

We were born with a name but the testing of h/w bugs and our open
ideas are important, not our names. We do not have a corporate email
as we test them as independent self-taught and self-funded
developers-hackers. We have a diversified pile of hardware both new
and old (486, APM, ISA is not legacy to us). Let us tell you something
about old hardware: We have machines that are older than us! Every
reference below pointing to intel hardware is sent towards intel and
not towards Sarah as she may not have access to those documents! If
she chooses, she can pass this message at the hardware team.

Moving to now, John uses an AMD E350 laptop and two K7 desktops still
in 2013. You see he does not care about antitheft on his laptop and
does not need the intel ME as he owns his laptop, he uses any DVD
installation media he wishes and he is not owned by his laptop like
some new laptops with trusted boot that do not trust the media its
users install. I (Nick) use two amd x90 series primarily (AM3+ 990FX
and AM3 790X), an ICH5R/865 s478 together with some ICH7/945 s478 for
various secondary stuff and a dream K7 SCSI (MSI K7T Master) for every
old pre 1999 OS with 2 36g HDDs. We switched to AMD because they give
most of their documentation without a registration (John has an intel
EDC account and was refused privileged access to locked datasheets).
As a result we abandoned intel after s478 which we believe is not only
the best intel socket ever but is also the last truly open socket,
both to developers and third party chipset manufacturers (is anyone
afraid of nVIDIA, VIA, ATi, SiS chipsets?). If every developer had a
corporate email, linux would still be an idea... How come intel is
linux friendly on the one hand and hides every serious document under
NDAs on the other hand? How come developers have to pay 1000 $ for
pci, 100 $ for sata, 100$ for CF 5, 100 $ for cfast and much more for
almost every other beta standard you publish (AHCI and USB exceptions)
and which your h/w usually cannot fully comply to???

Going back to the subject(bug), what is going on? Is anyone really
testing the hardware? All affected devices were late arrivals in the
market and have no excuse. NEC was the first to market USB 2.0
controller so in the ICH4 case for example, ICH4 was not the first USB
2.0 controller. We are afraid that exactly the same pattern will be
repeated in USB 3.0. How come late introductions be defective in
undetected ways while NEC work flawlessly? No wonder why we have so
many NEC USB devices... Have you ever thought about simplicity? Are
you aware that the USB-IF includes the ICH 7 family in its USB
Compliance Home products at the host silicon area? You have all the
docs and the h/w but do not want to give the effort/$$$ needed to
really test your h/w. Anyone who wants to really stress the h/w cannot
find the docs to do so, even thought he/she pays for the h/w!!!

Moreover be advised that we have the EDS for 6 series WITHOUT EVER
SINGING NDA (and without stealing it of course) and if you do not send
a patch to turn off the self-destructive 6gbps port we will do so,
sooner or later(when they actually start to fail) based on those
documents contents(writing an ICH register which is partially used in
the current linux driver). It is no surprise that these chipsets too
are in SATA-IO Building Block Listing(e.g. Q67 QNJ8).
Every BIOS specification NDA version, BIOS specification update NDA
version, BIOS Writer’s Guide, Platform Environment Control Interface
Guide should be made available to the last linux developer along with
SATA/SCSI/CF/CFast/PCcard/PCI/PCI-X/PCIe. You could also publish ALL
the docs for eol h/w such as ICH, 478/775 or older cpus. We won't
steal your patents and we won't sue you, we just want to make sure
that every intel h/w runs at 100%. Our Intel PRO/100 Intelligent
Server Adapter (TP/MII) is unknown hardware on linux. It is an exotic
server card with an i960 and an altera flex onboard and probably
carried an exotic price tag. It is a pitty it does not work since docs
do not exist and we plan to donate it for a forcedeth-like reversed
driver through the linux net list.

I am allergic in 25 things and we both are allergic to NDAs!!!

To put our thoughts into idle for now, communications will only take
place on linux-usb where even the last linux devel/user can see them.

It is sad that intel still does not see the market directions.