Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, Noone Nowhere wrote:

> USB stick on 12 different EHCI USB hosts. On VT8235M it took ages to
> go to 1000. A human readable timestamp could be used.

Evidently the VT8235M is very slow for some of the operations used by
the test program.

> To sum up printing a start up message to leave it run up to 1000 is
> necessary

It is not necessary.  I mentioned this in the original email where the
program was first distributed.

> as well as a warning to stop it using control+Z in avoid to
> avoid dmesg spamming.

Control-Z will not kill the program; the best way to stop it is to
unplug the test device.  Doing this does not cause any dmesg spamming
(unless you have CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled, in which case the extra
messages are appropriate).

> Timestamps is another improvement

Why does anybody care about timestamps?

> and fixing the
> block count issue is the last one as on 2 controllers (moschip and
> SB850) the program exited immediately after initialization.

I can't fix the block count issue.  That's not a bug in the program;
it's a bug somewhere else.

> First we
> must deal with those 2 controllers and check all hosts with the new
> version again. Since you prefer the logs with the current program, no
> problem. You will receive a message after this one with all the logs
> to keep you happy. Despite that, notice that when the program will be
> able to run on all hosts, we shall retest and resend the results. Are
> there any performance or reliability issues from this bug except the
> original DVB card detection problem? Will the workaround affect
> performance?

This EHCI bug is not related to DVB card detection.  I don't know what
original problem you're referring to.

A workaround for the bug has already been submitted to the various
stable kernel series.  The workaround may decrease performance slightly
for things like large data transfers to/from a mass-storage device.  I
haven't tried to measure the effect, and it will be different on
different platforms anyway.

Alan Stern