Re: Determine owner/group of a USB device

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> sed -i -e 's/SYSFS/ATTR/g' /etc/udev/rules.d/*
>
> I doubt that will solve your root problem correctly

I created a rule many years ago that set the group to "usb" for a
custom FPGA board my coworkers created.  I decided to use udev as the
mechanism by which the "group" was set to "usb" for a no-good-reason:
I just read it somewhere on google.  I'm willing (and prefer) to learn
the proper way from an official source, but I just didn't know where
to turn.

When I created that rule many years ago I used "SYSFS" in the udev
rule to specify the idVendor and idProduct of the device I was using.
Apparently that was not correct or is no longer correct.  The correct
approach is to use "ATTR".  Again this is from google, not from me
reading the udev manual.

So when I updated my OS, the invalid rule was not processed.

This manifested itself as "my device is not a member of the 'usb' group".

I naturally wondered "well then which group is it a member of?"

And this lead to my question here.

And eventually to my solution:
 sed -i -e 's/SYSFS/ATTR/g' /etc/udev/rules.d/*

I didn't execute sed on all the files (as I implied here) just the one
rule that I created in error.  I think you are cautioning me because
you felt I made a change to a bunch of system files provided by my
distribution?  If so thank you and I apologize for the misleading
quote.  If not, I'm still curious about your caution.

Thank you again,

Chris