Re: Determine owner/group of a USB device

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 03:23:59PM -0800, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My larger question, why do you want to do such a thing?  What problem
> > are you trying to solve here that console-kit (or the like), isn't
> > already solving today for you?
>
> Greg,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and
> you feed him for a lifetime.
>
> As you suspected, I was working to solve a larger problem.  While I do
> appreciate the offer to feed me a fish, I would also like to know "how
> to fish".  In this particular case, I find it somewhat amusing that
> determining the owner/group of a USB device is so mysterious.  I hope
> I didn't let the cat out of the bag by providing the solution on this
> list a few minutes ago! :)
>
> Since you are the "give a man a fish" type, here is what I ultimately
> needed to do to solve my problem:
>
> sed -i -e 's/SYSFS/ATTR/g' /etc/udev/rules.d/*

I doubt that will solve your root problem correctly, but hey, if you
feel good about doing this, that's fine with me :)

Hint, you should never have to do something like this, we have tools in
Linux to handle this automatically for you, please don't reinvent the
wheel, or ever advise anyone else to be editing udev rules like these by
hand, it's not wise.

good luck,

greg k-h