Re: "config x has an invalid interface number: y but max is z"

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013, Bjørn Mork wrote:

> I'm wondering about the usefulness and correctness of some of the
> warnings we print.

The warnings are correct.  How useful they are is another matter...

> Some vendors obviously allocate fixed interface numbers for specific
> functions and present configurations with large "holes" in the interface
> numbers.

Doing so violates the USB spec.  Section 9.2.3 says: "Interfaces are
numbered from zero to one less than the number of concurrent interfaces
supported by the configuration."  These devices probably could not pass
the USB-CV tests.

>  This example was just posted on the NM list, and I have some
> devices like this myself:
>
>  usb 1-1.5: new high-speed USB device number 7 using ehci_hcd
>  usb 1-1.5: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 8 but max is 3
>  usb 1-1.5: config 1 has no interface number 1
>  usb 1-1.5: config 2 has an invalid interface number: 12 but max is 1
>  usb 1-1.5: config 2 has an invalid interface number: 13 but max is 1
>  usb 1-1.5: config 2 has an invalid interface number: 13 but max is 1
>  usb 1-1.5: config 2 has no interface number 0
>  usb 1-1.5: config 2 has no interface number 1
>
> Is this useful to anyone?

In theory it would be useful to somebody developing firmware for a USB
device.  If only such people would test their firmwares under Linux...

>  I expect it is just log noise to most users,
> and some are probably confused and think there is something wrong here.
> At least when they are having some unrelated problem with the device.
>
> Should we just drop those warnings?

No opinion.

Alan Stern