Re: autodetect USB MTP device characteristics without libusb_open()

Peter Stuge <peter@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> > The problem appear when you ask a device which is not MTP
>> > for that descriptor, some of them just die, so I cannot do
>> > that.
>>
>> Really?  You ask for a string descriptor and the device dies?  Won't
>> those devices also die if they are connected to a Windows system?
>
> Yes, but only once. Windows stores an entry in the registry for every
> device plugged into the system, and the MOD will only be requested
> the very first time a given device is attached, *or* if the device
> returned a MOD for a previous request.
>
> So the user unplugs and replugs (or reboots) and then the device works.

OK, that seems like the sane way to handle anything like that, if you
want to handle it at all.  And there is absolutely no reason why Linux
should do it differently.  A userspace tool like the mtp tools could do
the exact same by writing a new udev rule for the crashing device.

There is no reason to hardcode these kind of really, really, really
buggy device workarounds, making other devices suffer because you are
afraid to request descriptors.

Bjørn