Re: Fresco Logic Problem

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 02:30:36PM +0330, A Sh wrote:
> > Ah, then you probably have the xHCI driver built-in, not built as a
> > module.
>
> What does it mean?

Wow, I googled around, and even though I know what search terms to look
for, there's really no good documentation on this question.  I'll add a
page to kernelnewbies.org.

"Built-in" means that the xHCI driver is built into the core kernel
binary, vmlinux.  Instead of compiling it into a stand-alone module that
can be unloaded and reloaded at any time, the driver is built into the
binary that gets executed at boot time.

Many people build in drivers in order to make their systems boot faster.
Other people want to build drivers as modules in order to make sure they
can unload and reload them whenever they want.

You can choose to make a driver built-in or a module by running `make
menuconfig` in the kernel source tree, finding your driver, and choosing
'y' (for built-in) or 'm' (for module).

If you look in your .config file for the kernel you compiled (it should
be in the kernel source directory), you will see a CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD
line.  If that line reads

CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=m

then the xHCI driver is configured to be compiled as a module.  If
instead the line reads

CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=y

then the xHCI driver is built-in to the vmlinux binary.

I hope this answered your question!

Sarah Sharp