Re: Fresco Logic Problem

On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 01:56:49PM +0330, A Sh wrote:
> 1. There is no xhci-hcd.ko at least for 3.2 kernels( I'm sure either for
> community compiled kernels or self-compiled kernels.) but it's the module
> responsible for usb3 and it's being used by kernel (for example command
> dmesg | grep xhci
> gives a lot of xhci related messages)
> may be it's compiled under ehci.ko or some other modules together.
> If you compile kernel you'll see that.(there was xhci.ko or xhci-hcd.ko in
> 2.6 versions but not in 3.2 ones)
> 2.
> > We try to avoid module parameters, because it's confusing.  Also, distros
> > will always leave them at the default, which means you might as well not
> > have them at all.  Any module parameter besides the default isn't going
> > to be well-tested either.
> >
> > I know it's a pain to recompile a kernel, but it doesn't make sense to
> > expose every single option to userspace.  So we pick a sane default, and
> > work around any quirks in the kernel driver.
>
> Yes this should be the routine procedure but not when there is a bunch of
> hardware with this issue.

It's really only the Fresco Logic vendor that has this issue.  That
probably means we should just add the quirk for all their chipsets, but
I wanted to give them time to fix the issue (and they were aware of the
issue when I talked to them about it).  So far, they're on strike two
for chipset revisions.  If I hear about a third revision that needs this
quirk, I'll blacklist MSI/MSI-X for all Fresco Logic chipsets.

Sarah Sharp