Re: PPC Serial over Host USB

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:34:21PM +0000, Avner Flesch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> Right now I am working kernel 3.5.
> I want to connect USB to Serial device (FDTI FT232R base) and be able to use
> /dev/ttyUSB. (I can mknod manualy). In fact I am going to connect hub, and I will need
> up to 4 serial ports.

You should not need to make any device nodes manually, udev or devtmpfs
(or it's replacement on your system) should handle this automatically.

> I used make menuconfig - and I marked all the required item, but how I intialize instance of
> USB serial port driver? I think it require some definition in the .dts file.

No, usb drivers are loaded, or start working, when you plug the device
into the system.  .dts is not for dynamic busses like USB, right?

What does your kernel log show when you plug the device in?

Do other USB devices work properly with your system?

> BTW, I am going to use complete kernel build (no dynamic module loading)

Why?  That shouldn't matter, but I am curious.

greg k-h