Re: problem with Roseweil eusb3 enclosure

I cannot post dmesg output befcause it starts spewing messages before
any disk is mounted -- I have to shut down and reboot without the drive
plugged in.  But see a previous message where I posted some more
information in this thread.  But to answer your questions, the enclosure
has its own power and it does work with usb2 -- although I have not
booted with it plugged in in that state, so I will have to check.

Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 09:54:08AM -0400, covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi.  I am using linux-3.6.2 kernel with gentoo patches and I have been
> > having problems with the usb3 enclosure made by Roseweil.  If I boot
> > with the drive plugged in, in this kernel, I cannot really boot because
> > it spits out continuous error messages -- something about code -71 maybe
> > cannot allocate address or something like that, right from the initrd
> > onwards.  In previous kernels such as 3.4.0, it didn't do anything
> > unless I unplugged and replugged in the drive.  Now if I have the drive
> > unplugged and wait till the system is booted, I can plug the drive in
> > and everything works OK.  I looked in the BIOS and it sees the drive as
> > a boot drive, but not a hard drive if the drive is plugged in.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to boot with the drive plugged in?
>
> You could post the dmesg output which could give more hints what is going on.
> Is the drive powered over USB or does it have its own power supply? Is it working
> well if you plug it into an USB2 port?
>
> > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Sebastian

How do