problem with Roseweil eusb3 enclosure

Hi.  I am using linux-3.6.2 kernel with gentoo patches and I have been
having problems with the usb3 enclosure made by Roseweil.  If I boot
with the drive plugged in, in this kernel, I cannot really boot because
it spits out continuous error messages -- something about code -71 maybe
cannot allocate address or something like that, right from the initrd
onwards.  In previous kernels such as 3.4.0, it didn't do anything
unless I unplugged and replugged in the drive.  Now if I have the drive
unplugged and wait till the system is booted, I can plug the drive in
and everything works OK.  I looked in the BIOS and it sees the drive as
a boot drive, but not a hard drive if the drive is plugged in.

Is there anything I can do to boot with the drive plugged in?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici