Re: USB-OTG enabled phone mount desktop partitions via USB port

杨苏立 Yang Su Li wrote:
> Connecting an SSD to a cell phone is actually my initial idea. I
> wanna try memory/ramdisk because I need fine control over the I/O
> speed I get. As memory is a true random access device,

Even DRAM isn't completely random access, but memory controllers do
a good job at faking it. I agree that as far as a USB 2.0 bottleneck
is concerned, DRAM can be considered random access.

> I can get uniform access time, thus its performance is much easier
> to understand/reason about. In the contrast, SSD/HDD is something
> complicated with sophisticated caching/relocating going on. So it
> is hard to predict how long your next I/O request is going to take.....

Yep.

> However, I realize there might not be such a thing which connect a
> DRAM/SDRAM card to USB port. So I might have to settle for SSD, and
> strive to find an SSD which offers the most predictable performance...

If you can find one of the old PLX cards then that is worth a try.

> I am quite concerned about the USB 2.0 speed indeed. Is there a way to
> turn an USB 2.0 cellphone/tablet into an USB 3.0 host by, say, adding
> some kind of hardware?

Unfortunately not without designing a different computer using
different components.

> Without large enough DRAM (at least several GB) Beagle board is
> definitely out. No way I could change its DRAM card to a larger one?

Unfortunately no way. Instead of a card, the memory is a BGA package
soldered on top of the CPU. Keyword: package-on-package

> OK. Then this solution is out too (at least for now).

Yes, understandable.

//Peter