Re: USB-OTG enabled phone mount desktop partitions via USB port

Hi,

Thanks again. I really appreciate your prompt and insightful answers.

And again, my comments are inline :)

Suli

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 杨苏立 Yang Su Li wrote:
>> is there some hardware I can by to turn my desktop into an USB
>> device or USB OTG device? Preferably this hardware should use my
>> desktop's memory to back-up its storage.
>
> Not that I know of.
>

>> > If the USB OTG host has a Micro-AB connector then yes, this cable is
>> > needed to allow a USB device to connect to the OTG host.
>>
>> I assume another solution would be directly attach an SSD to the
>> cellphone, in which case USB transmission/SATA-USB conversion is
>> supposed to be the bottleneck, as I couldn't find any phone/tablets
>> which support USB 3.0.  Do you guys have any comments on the
>> performance of such a solution?
>
> That is a great idea! If an SSD has good enough performance
> (and in practise, all SSDs have SDRAM buffers) then go for it.

Connecting an SSD to a cell phone is actually my initial idea. I wanna
try memory/ramdisk because I need fine control over the I/O speed I
get. As memory is a true random access device, I can get uniform
access time, thus its performance is much easier to understand/reason
about. In the contrast, SSD/HDD is something complicated with
sophisticated caching/relocating going on. So it is hard to predict
how long your next I/O request is going to take.....

However, I realize there might not be such a thing which connect a
DRAM/SDRAM card to USB port. So I might have to settle for SSD, and
strive to find an SSD which offers the most predictable performance...

> Compare SSD reviews and choose an SSD with performance that you like
> (I am happily using the Samsung 830 series) and use these two cables:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-Upgrade-Cable/dp/B003IT6PHM
> http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA
>
> to connect the SSD as a USB storage device to the cellphone. I have
> good experience with that particular Seagate USB cable. It may be a
> good idea to look specifically for a USB 3.0 cable, because the USB
> chipset is designed for higher performance, so it is perhaps more
> likely to approach theoretical maximum performance when used with
> a USB 2.0 host.

I am quite concerned about the USB 2.0 speed indeed. Is there a way to
turn an USB 2.0 cellphone/tablet into an USB 3.0 host by, say, adding
some kind of hardware?

>> > Note that this cable is a "double device" cable, where each end
>> > simulates a storage device, allowing file transfer between two
>> > computers. The performance of this cable is probably not amazing.
>>
>> If I understand it correctly, I could use the phone as a host using
>> this cable?
>
> A phone supporting OTG can be used as host using this cable:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA
>
> Anything that plugs into this cable on the other end is a device.
>

>> And its performance will suffer because it will have to
>> transform every master command into a slave command?
>
> The host-to-host easy transfer cable is a device on both sides, which
> requires some kind of processing inside the cable to simulate a
> storage device two times, and the cable is so simple and cheap that
> the simulation will not likely have very high performance. It also
> means that the maximum performance is determined by some factor
> involving the *other* device, connected to the other USB host.
> This method is not good.
>

>> The goal is to simulate cellphone storage. So I think 8/10GB to
>> 32/64GB would be reasonable here. If that's possible, I can settle
>> for less than 5GB too.  And hopefully the solution would be software
>> based/light weighted, as unfortunately I don't have too much hardware
>> programming experience.
>
> Since you need several GB backend storage as opposed to 200-400 MB it
> is rather difficult to find simple hardware solutions.
>

>> > In theory you can maybe use a Beagle hardware (BeagleBoard-xM,
>> > BeagleBone, etc.) to create a RAM-based USB storage device. BUT!
>> > I do not know if the USB hardware in the TI OMAP chip will approach
>> > maximum theoretical USB throughput in this configuration. It would
>> > however be a way to test your idea with low hardware cost.
>>
>> So if I understand it right, Beagle board is something which could
>> operate as an USB device,
>
> Yes. Different boards can even support USB OTG; so be either host or
> device.
>

>> and which I could also insert large DRAM cards?
>
> Unfortunately not, the development boards I've seen all have a fixed
> amount of DRAM. BeagleBone has 256 MB, BeagleBoard-xM has 512 MB.
> There are many other similar development boards, but they all have
> fixed DRAM.

Without large enough DRAM (at least several GB) Beagle board is
definitely out. No way I could change its DRAM card to a larger one?

>> How hard is it to run a Linux on such a borad then?
>
> They usually ship with Linux and there are strong communities of
> Linux users around them. They are made for Linux. But I do not know
> what the performance is of the gadget hardware - in particular I
> don't know if it reaches the theoretical maximum peformance of USB.
>

>> If I can easily run LInux, then  this solution really seem
>> appealing then. Do you have any recommendation on specific Beagle
>> board?
>
> If you want to try it I suggest choosing one of BeagleBoard-xM and
> BeagleBone. The latter is lower cost, smaller, more integrated, but
> is also slower and has half the DRAM.
>

>> > For maximum performance I suggest to design special purpose hardware
> ..
>> > Significantly more work, but will have great performance.
>>
>> As for this solution, how much development effort would you estimate?
>
> Maybe 4-6 months for someone with the right background and good
> "predisposition" - but without experience from the technologies
> involved. (CPU, USB, DMA, memory bus, FPGA, SDRAM. It is very
> much like building a complete computer from scratch.)

OK. Then this solution is out too (at least for now).

>> I could probably devote one week to setup such a thing, but if it will
>> require more than two weeks' of work, then it probably doesn't worth
>> it anyway.
>
> If you think the SSD method gives sufficient performance then I
> suggest doing that. It's by far the fastest and simplest solution.
>

> //Peter
> --

Suli Yang

Department of Physics