Re: cannot submit urb 0, error -22: internal error followed by USB hung tasks

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, Lassi [ISO-8859-1] V��inen wrote:

> I just quickly tried with Ubuntu Studio 11.04, kernel version 2.6.38
> (generic). Seems that the Ardour playback performance was better, or at least
> the crashing is not that frequent as with the 3.2 .. 3.6-rc7 kernels. However,
> towards the end of my test sequnece, when closing down Ardour and stopping
> Jack, I noticed the "timeout: active URBs" message in dmesg log. So I'll try
> and check this issue when I have more time.

That message results from the "lost" URBs we saw in the usbmon trace.
It's a good indication that something is very wrong -- probably a
better indication than the -22 errors

> > If there is a software workaround for this OHCI problem, I'd like to
> > know about it.  At the moment I can't think of any good approach.
> >

> Yeah, I also wonder whether the Ubuntu Studio Jack buffering and system memory
> settings might have some effect on this, not the actual driver changes?

The ideal check would be to run Ubuntu 12 but boot with the 2.6.38
kernel.  Or vice versa: run Ubuntu 11 but boot with the 3.6 kernel.

To be honest, I could write a fairly simple change to the driver that
would work around this hardware bug most of the time.  But it wouldn't
be perfect; occasionally the problem would still show up.

Would you like to test such a change?

Alan Stern