Re: libusbx-1.0.13 has been released

Hi,

On 09/24/2012 05:03 PM, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:42:10PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
Hi,

It with pleasure that I would like to announce the release of
libusbx 1.0.13. This version brings the following notable changes:

* [MAJOR] Fix a typo in the API with struct libusb_config_descriptor
where MaxPower was used instead of bMaxPower, as per the specs.
   If your application was accessing the MaxPower attribute, and you
need to maintain compatibility with libusb or older versions, please
see APPENDIX A below.

So, you broke compatibility with existing programs, like usbutils.
That's just foolish and dumb.  I have loads of distros asking me about
this now.

First of all I'm sorry to hear that the MaxPower change has caused issues
for usbutils.

We've discussed this change on the libusbx-devel list in detail and only
one API user using the MaxPower field was identified and the author of
that was ok with the change.

Please put the work-around in the library if you really want to change
this field name,

We've considered several library level workarounds and non were deemed
really workable. Note that I was not the author of this specific change,
and that I've voiced concerns about the API breakage this entailed, but
since there seemed to be almost no users of the field and Pete felt
strong about fixing its name I went along.

otherwise, I'm going to have to recommend that no one
use libusbx as it's developers really don't care about their users.

That is a bit harsh, we do care, I would like to think that we care a
lot more then the original libusb which did not deem their users
worthy of a release for a period for more then two years.

Once more sorry for the work this is causing you, but the decision has
been made (for better or worse) and I don't think that reversing it
in a later release is going to do us any good ...

Regards,

Hans