Re: usb3 fails to write when using usb3 hub in usb3 port

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Adrian Sandu wrote:

> Hi peeps,
>
> For the past day or so I've been trying to get my usb hub to work with
> my asrock 152d and failed.
> After a while it crossed my mind to try it out on my vaio vpcf13m1e's
> usb3 port .. worked like a charm.
> Both the nettop and my laptop seem to have the same usb3 chipset: "NEC
> Corporation uPD720200".

Which computer is the nettop and which is the laptop?

> Drives seem to work just fine if connected directly to the nettop's 2
> usb3 ports ( but I have like 5 usb3 drives and this is where the need
> for a hub came in )
> All drives have their own power source, so does the usb hub.
>
> Googling a lil' bit got me to
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/67534 and thought
> that maybe this can be easily fixed like that.
>
> The manhattan/gembird (both hubs I tried seem to have the same chipset) usbhub:
> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 2109:3431
> Bus 009 Device 002: ID 2109:0810
>
> I can mount my drives just fine, browse .. but as soon as I try to
> write something, it dies.
> I'm using fedora17 (kernel 3.5.2) on my laptop and gentoo (
> vanilla-sources 3.5.4) on the nettop.
>
> An usbmon dump on 0u can be seen at http://d3xt3r01.tk/~dexter/usbmon.trace.txt

This usbmon trace is practically useless.  It shows data for multiple
devices on multiple buses, with no hint as to where to look for a
problem.  In fact, glancing through it quickly I didn't see any
problems at all.  There were plenty of writes and they all succeeded.

Alan Stern