Re: USB port power off discussion

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 08:21:01PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > a userspace program claims the interface via usbfs and reads from
> > the device when it wants to capture a finger scan.  The kernel's
> > "auto" power policy would turn back on the port as soon as the
> > interface was claimed through usbfs.
>
> This translates to a slightly less appealing user experience where
> users can't simply swipe finger to unlock a locked screen but must
> first wake up the userspace process, or to smaller power savings,
> if the port can never be powered off as long as the screen is locked.

I think it would be the latter case.  If userspace keeps the device open
while the screen is locked, then we wouldn't power off the device.

The desktop environment could be smart and release the finger print
reader when the screen blanks.  But then the screen wouldn't unblank
when someone swiped their finger.  They would have to hit a key or
wiggle a mouse to unblank the screen, which would cause the userspace
program to claim the interface.  Then they could swipe their finger.  So
to ensure the best user experience, the locked screen would probably
hold the device open all the time.

I'll have to play around with my thinkpad fingerprint reader and see
what modern desktop environments do with it.

However, the majority of users who don't use a finger print reader will
get better power savings.

Sarah Sharp