Re: USB sound card device complains about "error -28: not enough bandwidth" only on specific PC hardware, seems not kernel specific

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> > Going to high speed would undoubtedly fix your problem, but we can't
> > do it if we don't know how. Is there any way for you to use your
> > device with Windows, force it to high speed, and record the USB
> > commands that Windows uses to do this?
> Sure.. I can put it on the Windows machine and try to record the USB
> commands but I need some guidance (HOWTO, documentation, etc) of what
> software I need to do this.

It depends on what version of Windows you're running.  There are
programs freely available, but I don't have a list.  Try doing a web
search for: USB snoop windows.

> > Which kernel version were you using when you recorded these?
>
> That was with a Centos6 kernel:  2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.ax25.x86_64 #1 SMP
> Sun Mar 18 15:51:48 PDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> As I mentioned above, I also have a Vanilla 3.4.4 kernel that I can use
> though the USB behavior is basically the same.

Can you run the same test with the 3.4.4 kernel?

In fact, can you build your own kernel with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled?

Alan Stern