Re: USB sound card device complains about "error -28: not enough bandwidth" only on specific PC hardware, seems not kernel specific

[re-send dropping the HTML format to work around VGER's silly plain-text-only rule]

Hello Alan,

First off, thanks for the response and sorry for the delay here.. very busy here!

The problem is caused by the ehci-hcd driver's not-so-great support for scheduling periodic transfers to full-speed devices. That's why the HP and Dell systems have no trouble but your Gateway laptop can't handle it.

There are various reports that the Windows driver has an option to FORCE this X-Fi device to use USB high speed which solves some specific sound quality issues, etc. but I have not seen anything about needing that switch to support 96khz at. There was a similar trick done on the Audigy2 NX card and I'd be willing to try some code that could force the device to high speed that but it's unclear what's needed for the X-Fi card.

   Audigy 2 NX required a hack to go into highspeed mode
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/20816

I've also researched around where some people recommended to remove the EHCI module to use the OHCI but that doesn't seem to work on this specific laptop's chipset.

To be clear, I'm ONLY looking to record two channel (stereo) from this sound card's line-in. I'm more than happy to disable any playback, etc. if that might allow this USB device to stay under the Full speed bandwidth limit

You can provide some more details: The output from "lsusb -v" for the sound card, and a usbmon trace showing the RECORD failure (see Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions).

Absolutely.  Please see here:

http://www.trinityos.com/SCRATCH/

--David