Re: USB sound card device complains about "error -28: not enough bandwidth" only on specific PC hardware, seems not kernel specific

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, David Ranch wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I've been researching this specific issue and I'm coming to the
> conclusion my problem is a USB chipset / kernel infrastructure specific
> issue and not a problem with the USB device or it's ALSA driver.  If
> anyone has some ideas of how I might be able to work around this problem
> or what additional details are needed to help troubleshoot this issue,
> I'd love to hear from you.

> Any ideas on how to proceed?  Both this Hp system and a fellow friend
> running this same USB device on a Dell D600 laptop running Ubuntu 10.11
> doesn't have any issues so I know it can work.  The question is.. can I
> get it to work with my specific Gateway/Acer laptop?

The problem is caused by the ehci-hcd driver's not-so-great support for
scheduling periodic transfers to full-speed devices.  That's why the HP
and Dell systems have no trouble but your Gateway laptop can't handle
it.

You can provide some more details: The output from "lsusb -v" for the
sound card, and a usbmon trace showing the RECORD failure (see
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt for instructions).

Alan Stern