Re: PROBLEM: Certain USB devices wake up the system after power off

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Àlex Magaz Graça wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [1.] One line summary of the problem:
> Certain USB devices wake up the system after power off
>
> [2.] Full description of the problem/report:
>
> The computer no longer shuts down properly after upgrading from Ubuntu
> 11.04 to 11.10 (this is from kernel 2.6.38 to 3.0.20 (*)), it powers on
> immediately after being shut down.
>
> WORKAROUND: It doesn't happen if any of the problematic USB devices are
> not plugged.
>
> I perform the following the following steps:
>
> 1. Switch to a virtual terminal (no XWindow) and log in.
> 2. Run: sudo poweroff
> 3. The computer shuts down (I see how all LEDs switch off and hear the
> hard drive stopping).
> 4. Immediately the computer powers on again.
>
> It only fails when the device is plugged in on the back USB ports, NOT
> in the ones in the front panel.
>    - Fails with: WiFi card or pendrive.
>    - Doesn't fail with: printer, keyboard/mouse wireless receiver,
> bluetooth dongle.
>
> If I boot passing acpi=off to the kernel command line, the computer
> doesn't shut down.
>
> After bisecting I've found the problem was introduced in commit
> c61875977458637226ab093a35d200f2d5789787. OHCI: final fix for NVIDIA
> problems (I hope).

That patch affects shutdown for all OHCI controllers, not just NVIDIA
controllers.  On the other hand, it's strange that the problem is
triggered only by devices that don't use OHCI.

Have you checked for any BIOS updates from the manufacturer?

The lsusb output attached to your bug report indicates that only two
devices were plugged in: the WiFi card and the wireless receiver.
What happens if the only USB device attached is the WiFi card?  (For
best testing, unplug the receiver and other things before you boot.)

Please post the output from:

	ls -d /sys/bus/pci/drivers/?hci_hcd/*/usb?

Also, post the output from "lsusb" with the WiFi card plugged
into a rear port and the pendrive plugged into a front port.

Alan Stern