Re: Removal of ccg

On 08/15/2012 03:30 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartmann wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36:14AM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
On the TODO list I read convert from sysfs to configfs. Great. That
means it should become what I suggested some time ago.

The ccg code is thight on sysfs, there is hardly generic code available
which could be reused with the configfs interface.
So can we remove ccg from staging right away? I don't see the point in
keeping it. The user interface changes completely. And while I convert
in tree gadgets / composite users I have to update ccg for no reason.
Ach, I am probably okay with helping Andrzej with his configfs work.

Okay to remove it?

Why would you remove it if people are still using it today?  Don't you
want to fix it up properly and move it into the real part of the kernel
instead?

This does not solve all problems and provides a sysfs based interface.
The TODO list says convert to configfs. That means it will be basically
written from scratch. The logic is different in many places. By the
time we did everything step by step on ccg we could probably add
configfs thrice. Well maybe not as it depends on man power…

Now look at the nokia gadget. Add more functions to it and add a few
sysfs to enable / disable the functions. Now allow to store VID/PID
attributes. Where are you? Almost at what ccg can offer today.
You still have one config descriptor and you can enable / disable a few
functions which are included. Yes most of this results in limitations
offered by the framework.

greg k-h

Sebastian