Re: DesignWare USB OTG dwc_otg issues with high-speed hubs

Hi,
11.08.2012 0:13, Paul Fertser:
Hi Felipe,

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:39:52PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:35:20PM +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
I'm using an RT3052F device (DIR-620 SOHO wifi router) with current
OpenWrt trunk and its USB port is handled by the dwc_otg driver. The
source is available from their repository:
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/ramips/files/drivers/usb/dwc_otg

there's no such driver in mainline kernel. We cannot support you. You
need to ask help from openwrt project.

Well, sorry, but i'm not sure that's entirely correct. People involved
in writing and using that driver are quite possibly hanging around
here. I know this is not an upstream driver (in fact it was ported
from Ralink's SDK by Layne Edwards) and i understand that vendor
drivers usually suck big time.

OTOH, vendor drivers are quite often a valuable source of the
information and having a link to a version that works on current
kernels might be beneficial as one can do a side-by-side comparison
and testing.

Of course i would appreciate someone sharing his ideas about another,
proper upstream driver that is usable on an RT3052 target.

Some version of this thing (dwc otg) is also used in AML8726M SoC which is found in a lot of internet tablets. I took a driver for RT3052 from openwrt (there are several other versions floating around) and spent quite some time trying to get it working correctly in gadget mode on my AML8726M-powered device. Combining several versions, I managed to fix some minor issues, but due to lack of USB knowledge and in the absence of any documentation/support from the manufacturer I gave up for now. I cound not even get g_serial to work completely. The hardware is messy, the driver is essentially in initial stage, no one seems to be interested/capable enough to rework/fix it properly. There were also some copyright/licensing issues IIRC.

Nikolai

I hope i put it clearly enough so that a person not interested in
non-upstream code won't waste his time reading this thread. I hope
this is enough of an excuse for CCing the list. If not, please let me
know.