Re: linux usb

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012, chetan cr123 wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, chetan cr123 wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> Kindly let me know
> >> how an usb device connection is reported to kernel when we plug an usb cable.
> >> I see that Udev/ueventd is responsible for that.
> >
> > It sounds like you're talking about the device's kernel, not the host's
> > kernel.
> >
>    I am talking bout usb device kernel (not the host).
>    but for me tablet/mobile should work as both as
> 1. As device when we connect to PC.
> 2. As host when we connect a pendriver or some other device when
> connected to my tablet.
>
> so i was asking about udev/uevent and how the usb plug in
> reported/detected to kerenl. so that in run time i can decide and load
> / unload the USB gadget and USB host driver.

The host side is easy enough.  When a new USB device is detected a
uevent message is sent to udev.  Then udev rules cause the appropriate
driver to be loaded.

Nothing like that happens on the device side, though.

> >> I want to know how exactly usb device will report to (kernel or udev)
> >> when an device is plugged.
> >
> > Answer: Currently connections are not reported.
> >   Ok fine. then kindly let me know how kernel or OS comes to know USB is connected?
> > There was some discussion about having the gadget core export a
> > pollable sysfs file that would indicate the current USB connection
> > state.  But nobody has written any code.
> >
> >> how can to create an sysfs(node) from gadget driver and this driver
> >> reports to Udev/uevent when an USB device is connected.
> >> So that Application can read Uevents of USB plugin and do the
> >> necessary action (in my case disable the block driver and load usb
> >> gadget mass storage to communicate with PC -----> SD-card of
> >> Tablet/mobile) .
> >> Kindly let me know how can i do this.
> >
> > There is no way to do this now.
> > oh is it. then u mean i cant go with this use case?
>    I am using Android ICS 4.03 source code for our tablet device.
>    I saw in some Samsung phone running on Android 2.3. they have
> implemented a use case like this.
>    when we use some files(say mp3 ) playing from SD-card------> block
> driver will come into picture.
>    at the same time when user plugs an USB cable the playing video
> stops(to say block driver might be unloaded ) to UI they informs user
> about USB connection and loads gadget driver so that we can read write
> to SD-card in Tablet(mobile) from computer.
>
> This i need to implement on my tablet phone. Kindly let me know how
> can i do this.

If you want to know how to do this under Android then you should ask on
an Android-oriented mailing list.  The linux-usb mailing list covers
only standard Linux, not variants such as Android.

Alan Stern